Mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us. In Bangor Central Integrated Primary School, we aim to:
- Ensure that every pupil fulfils their potential in Mathematics and Numeracy.
- Foster a positive attitude to Mathematics, promoting confidence and enjoyment for learning.
- Develop logical thinking and reasoning skills by exposing children to a variety of learning experiences, including independent exploration, practical work, play based learning, recorded work, ICT and investigative activities.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of numbers and the number system.
- Develop the ability to solve problems through decision making and reasoning in a range of different styles.
- Explore the features of shape and space, measures and handling data.
- Develop the ability to apply knowledge, skills and ideas in real life contexts outside the classroom, and become aware of the uses of Mathematics in the wider world.
In BCIPS we are continually striving to enhance our pupils’ mathematical experiences and knowledge, so as to equip them for the next stage of their learning. We have invested in resources such as; NumiconIzak9
We also run annual maths events in which we focus on a different area of the curriculum. We have had a ‘Shape & Space’ week and a ‘Handling Data’ week. Every year we host a ‘House Maths Quiz’ for Years 4-7 which can get very competitive!